COLLEGES OF AGRICULTURE IN NIGERIA
(Scroll down for the list of institutions).
The Colleges of Agriculture award the National Diploma (ND) and the Higher National Diploma both of which takes two years of study to complete. The Colleges are supervised by the respective ministries of Agriculture in the country. While the Federal Ministry of Agriculture supervises the Federal Colleges, the State Ministries supervises the State colleges with the collaboration of the National Board for Technical Education.
The Colleges of Agriculture offer the following programmes
1. Agricultural Economics
2. Agricultural Extension and Management
3. Agricultural Engineering Technology
4. Animal Health Technology
5. Animal Health and Production
6. Animal production Technology
7. Crop Science
8. Crop production Technology
9. Fisheries Technology
10. Forestry Technology
11. Horticulture and landscape Technology
12. Pest Technology
13. Home Economics
A college of Agriculture is headed by a Provost.
The Provost or Rector is the Chief Executive of the College and is charged with the general responsibility for matters relating to the day-to-day management of the Institution.
The Deputy Provost serves as the deputy to the provost and as such carries out other functions as may be assigned to him by the Provost.
The Registrar is the Chief Administrative Officer of the College. He is responsible to the Provost for the day-to-day administration of the Institution, amongst others.
The Bursar is responsible for the day-to-day administration and control of the financial affairs of the College, amongst others.
The Librarian is responsible for the administration of the College Library and the coordination of the library services of the College, among others.
GAINING ADMISSION INTO A COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE
Admission into the Colleges is through direct application to the respective institution.
All intending students must purchase the application form of the school when it is on sale and submit directly to the institution, write the examination (where required and if successful go for the interview) and be admitted.
National Diploma (ND) - 2 years
To qualify into the programme, candidates must have a minimum of four credits in relevant areas which must include Mathematics, English Language, and Credit/Pass in Chemistry or General Science or candidates that is successful in his/her Pre-National Diploma with a minimum of four passes in relevant WAEC, NECO, SSCE or GCE ‘O’ level papers which must include Mathematics, English Language and Chemistry or General Science. A Science background grade II pass with not less than four credits in relevant areas may be considered for admission.
Higher National Diploma (HND) – 2 years
Candidates wishing to be admitted into any of the College programmes must be a holder of National Diploma in the relevant department plus a minimum of four passes in the SSCE, WAEC, NECO or GCE ‘O’ level and at least one-year cognitive/working experience.
LIST OF COLLEGES OF AGRICULTURE IN NIGERIA
FEDERAL COLLEGES OF AGRICULTURE
S/N, NAME AND ADDRESS
1. College of Agriculture (DAC), Kabba, Kabba, Kogi State
2. Federal College of Agriculture Akure, Ondo State. Akure, Ondo State
3. Federal College of Agriculture, Dadinkowa, Dadinkowa, Gombe State
4. Federal College of Agriculture, Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State.
5. Federal College of Agriculture Ishiagu, Ishiagu, Ebonyi State
6. Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology, Moore Plantation, Ibadan, Oyo State. www.fcahptib.edu.ng. Tel: 08052179585, 08023980478
7. Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology, Vom, Vom, Plateau State.
8. Federal College of Fisheries and Marine Technology Victoria Island, Lagos State.
9. Federal College of Freshwater Fisheries Technology, Baga, Baga, Borno State.
10. Federal College of Freshwater Fisheries Technology, New Bussa, New Bussa, Niger State.
11. Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, Afaka, Kaduna State.
12. Federal College of Land Resources Technology, Kuru, Kuru, Plateau State.
13. Federal College of Land Resources Technology, Owerri. Owerri, Imo State
14. Federal College of Wildlife Management, New Bussa, New Bussa, Niger State.
15. Federal College of Forestry, Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State.
16. Federal College of Forestry, Jos, Jos, Plateau State.
17. Samaru College of Agriculture (DAC), Zaria, Kaduna State.
STATE COLLEGES OF AGRICULTURE
S/N, NAME AND ADDRESS
1. Adamawa State College of Agriculture, Mubi, Adamawa State
2. Akperan Orshi College of Agriculture, Yandev, Gboko, Benue State.
3. Akwa Ibom State College of Agric. Obio-Akpa, Cross River State.
4. Anambra State College of Agriculture, Igbariam, Anambra State.
5. Audu Bako School of Agriculture, Danbatta, Kano State.
6. College of Agriculture, Jalingo, Jalingo, Taraba State.
7. College of Agriculture, Lafia, Lafis, Nassarawa State.
8. College of Agriculture, Zuru, Zuru, Kebbi State.
9. Edo State College of Agriculture, Iguariakhi, Edo State.
10. Jigawa State College of Agriculture, Hadejia, Jigawa State.
11. Mohamet Lawan College of Agriculture Maiduguri, Borno State.
12. Niger State College of Agriculture, Mokwa, Niger State.
13. Oyo State College of Agriculture, Oyo, Oyo State.
14. Plateau State College of Agriculture, Garkawa, Plateau State.
15. Regional Agricultural Training School, Maiduguri, Borno State
16. Rivers State Institute of Agricultural Research and Training, Onne, Rivers State.
17. School of Agriculture, Ikorodu, Ikorodu, Lagos State.
18. Yobe State College of Agriculture, Gubja, Yobe State.
19. Zamfara State College of Agriculture, Bakura, Zamfara State.
Contact: Excellence and Education Network, Email: email@example.com, Telephone 234-7026259590, 234-7034554494