COLLEGES OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY IN NIGERIA
(Scroll dowm for the list of the colleges and schools of health technology in Nigeria)
The Schools of Health Technology (SHTs) or Colleges of Health Technology (CHT) were established in the late 1970s as part of Nigeria’s Basic Health Services Scheme to train a new cadre of Public Health Care (PHC) workers to staff the basic health units in the country. Currently, these institutions train a variety of public health care workers, including Community Health Extension Workers (CHEWs), Junior Community Health Extension Workers (JCHEWs), environmental health officers (EH)), medical technicians (MT) and records clerks (RC).
The principal officers of a polytechnic include the provost, the registrar, the Bursar and the Librarian.
The Provost or Rector is the Chief Executive of the College and is charged with the general responsibility for matters relating to the day-to-day management of the Institution.
The Deputy Provost serves as the deputy to the provost and as such carries out other functions as may be assigned to him by the Provost.
The Registrar is the Chief Administrative Officer of the College. He is responsible to the Provost for the day-to-day administration of the Institution, amongst others.
The Bursar is responsible for the day-to-day administration and control of the financial affairs of the College, amongst others.
The Librarian is responsible for the administration of the College Library and the coordination of the library services of the College, among others.
The colleges award the ND and HND
• Dental Technology
• Dental Therapy
• Health Information Management
• Community Health
• Environmental Health Technology
• Public Health Nursing
• Other courses offered by the Colleges of Technology include
o Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW)
o Health Assistant Medical Course (HAM)
o Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
o Pharmacy Technician (PHT)
o X-Ray Technician (XR)
o Community Nutrition Technician (CNT)
o Food Hygienist (FH)
o Environment Health Assistant (EHA)
The course duration ranges from two (2) years to four (4) years depending on the programme.
GAINING ADMISSION INTO THE COLLEGES OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY
Admission into the Colleges is through Entrance Examination and interview.
All intending students must purchase the application form of the school when it is on sale and submit directly to the institution, write the examination and if successful go for the interview and be admitted.
GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.
1. There is no age limit provided the candidate satisfies basic entry requirements.
2. Matured, highly disciplined individuals who possess all the attributes of being healthy i.e physically, mentally, socially, spiritual, culturally, and morally sound. There should be no traces of contagious diseases.
3. Good citizens with readiness to learn, lack of criminal tendencies and ability to abide with the rules and regulations of the school.
4. Cut-off passes mark in the Entrance Examination and the interview conducted by the schools in respect to the course of choice.
Intending candidates must have at least (5) Credit passes in either WAEC, GCE, SSCE, NECO in not more than two sittings in English, Mathematicss, Biology, Chemistry and one relevant subject (Geography, Economics, Physics, etc) subject. These must be from one examination source.
LIST OF COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY IN NIGERIA
FEDERAL COLLEGES OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY & ALLIED INSTITUTIONS
S/N, NAME AND ADDRESS
1. ABU Teaching Hospital, Department of Community Medicine (CHO), Shika, Zaria, Kaduna State.
2. Aminu Kano University Teaching Hospital, Kano Kano, Kano State.
3. Federal College of Dental Technology, Enugu Enugu, Enugu State.
4. Institute of Public Health College of Health Sciences, (OAU) Ile- Ife. Ile-Ife, Osun State.
5. National Orthopaedic Centre, Igbobi. Igbobi-Yaba, Lagos State
6. Nigerian Army Medical Corps and Schools, Ojo. Ojo, Lagos State.
5. Othman Dan-Fodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto Sokoto, Sokoto State
7. University of Calabar Teaching Hospital Calabar. Calabar, Cross River State.
8. University College Hospital, Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State.
9. University Teaching Hospital, Lagos. Idiaraba, Lagos State.
STATE COLLEGES OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY & ALLIED INSTITUTIONS
S/N, NAME AND ADDRESS
1. Anambra State School of Health Technology. Obosi, Anambra State.
2. Bauchi State School of Health Technology, Ningi. Ningi, Bauchi State.
3. Imo State School of Health Technology. Amaigbo, Imo State.
4. Imo State School of Public Health Nursing/CHO. Owerri, Imo State.
5. Lagos State School of Public Health Nursing/CHO. Ikoyi, Lagos State.
6. Rivers State College of Health Sciences and Technology. Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
7. School of Health Technology, Aba. Aba, Abia State.
8. School of Health Technology, Akure, Akure, Ondo State.
9. School of Health Technology, Alushi. Akwanga, Nasarawa State.
10. School of Health Technology, Benin. Benin, Edo State.
11. School of Health Technology, Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State.
12. School of Health Technology, Daura. Daura, Katsina State.
13. School of Health Technology, Elesa Osun State.
14. School of Health Technology, Etinan, Etinan, Akwa Ibom State.
15. School of Health Technology, Idah, Idah, Kogi State.
16. School of Health Technology, Ijero-Elati, Ijero-Elati, Ekiti State.
17. School of Health Technology, Ijebu-Ode, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.
18. School of Health Technology, Inyi, Inyi, Enugu State.
19. School of Health Technology, Jahun, J Jahun, Jigawa State.
20. School of Health Technology, Jega, Jega, Kebi State.
21. School of Health Technology, Kaltungo, Kaltungo, Gombe State.
22. School of Health Technology, Kankia, Kankia, Katsina State.
23. School of Health Technology, Kano. Kano, Kano State.
24. School of Health Technology, Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Borno State.
25. School of Health Technology, Makurdi, Makurdi, Benue State.
26. School of Health Technology, Minna, Minna, Niger State.
27. School of Health Technology, Mubi, Mubi, Adamawa State.
28. School of Health Technology, Offa, Offa, Kwara State.
29. School of Health Technology, Ofuoma, Ugheli, Delta State.
30. School of Health Technology, Oji River, Oji River, Enugu State.
31. School of Health Technology, Pankshin, Pankshin, Plateau State.
32. School of Health Technology, Takum, Takum, Taraba State.
33. School of Health Technology, Tungar Magajiya, Kontagora, Kontagora, Niger State.
34. School of Health Technology, Yaba, Yaba, Lagos State.
35. School of Health Technology, Zawan-Jos. Jos, Plateau State.
36. School of Hygiene, Eleyele, Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State.
37. School of Hygiene, Kano. Kano, Kano State.
38. School of Public Health Nursing Nsukka, Enugu. Nsukka, Enugu State.
39. Shehu Idris College of Health Sciences and Technology, Makarfi, Makarfi, Kaduna State.
40. Sultan Abdur-Rahman School of Health Technology, Gwadabawa, Gwadabawa, Sokoto State.
PRIVATE COLLEGES OF HEALTH TECHNOLOGY & ALLIED INSTITUTIONS
S/N NAME ADDRESS
1. NKST College of Health Technology, Mkar, Gboko, Gboko, Benue State.
Contact: Excellence and Education Network, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone 234-7026259590, 234-7034554494